The UMASO 2024 Info Document
will be regularly updated with new information. Teams should also receive update emails with important or time-sensitive information.
Event Rules Modifications
We will be running different parts of the tournament with different rules. Please see below which rules apply to different categories of events. All guidelines are specified in the 2024 rules manual.
- Written test and Lab events will be run per the national guidelines
- Hybrid events (Detector Building, Optics, and Wind power) will be run with the national guidelines
- Build events will be running with the state guidelines
We are very happy to announce that we are selling sweatshirts, t-shirts, and stickers this year! Below, we have included images of our clothing and sticker designs for this year. Please refer to the email sent to your coach(es) to access the merch order form and place your order.
Please note that only orders placed before Thursday, January 11th at 11:59 PM
are guaranteed for pick up on the day of the competition. Any later orders will be subject to availability so we highly recommend that you fill out the form as soon as possible!
florrent Lab Tour
This year UMASO has partnered with florrent and they are graciously offering tours of their lab on campus! florrent is a UMass-affiliated group and are pioneers in the production of ultracapacitors from hemp. In this tour, students will be able to go through florrent's multiple lab rooms to see their process of creating and experimenting to improve their ultracapacitors firsthand.
If you have any students who would like to learn about the physics and chemistry behind turning hemp into a useful ultracapacitor material, please have them fill out this interest form
Build Event Sign-Ups
We are now opening self-scheduled event sign-ups. The self-scheduled events are Air Trajectory, Scrambler, Tower, Robot Tour, Optics, and Fermi Questions. For each of these events, please sign up for one slot per team and be respectful of the times already selected by other teams. We recommend signing up by writing both your team name and team number.
Some important details to note:
- The sign-up spreadsheet is separated into two different sheets: the first sheet has the first 4 classic build sign-ups and the second sheet has the Optics and Fermi sign-ups.
- For Robot Tour, we are having each sign-up slot cover two 10-minute blocks, meaning that two teams will be testing at once on two identical setups.
- The Optics event will be self-scheduled throughout the day with each block being one hour long and consisting of a maximum of 10 teams. In each block, teams will participate in both the written test and build portions of the event.
- The event sign-up sheet will only be modifiable by coaches. Once again, please sign up for only one slot per team and be respectful of slots already selected.
Here is the event sign-up spreadsheet
All students/parents/guardians must fill out this release form
by February 1st, 2024
. Students must fill out the release form to compete. Any competitor who fails to fill out the form will be prohibited from competing.
We also wanted to share with you the UMASO 2024 Info Document
In this document, you will find important information including team number(s), our event schedule, our trial events this year, and more.
Please make sure to read through this document before the competition and revisit it regularly.
In addition, we also recommend that coaches share this document with their students.